Monday, February 4, 2013

FHE: Brigham Young

Now that I'm on year 2 for regular FHE, I'm starting to look for ways to help me with ideas for FHE topics.  This year, The Friend magazine has "A Portrait of a Prophet" on the inside back cover every month, and I decided to let that be our topic every 1st Monday of the month.  January was Joseph Smith, who we recently talked about in December, near his birthday, so we didn't do it last month, but this month is Brigham Young.

There are a lot of FHE lessons on Brigham Young out there.  I printed out a coloring page from this one.  They also have a link to a fun butter-churning activity, but I think my kids are still too young for that.  I might also save it for a pioneer FHE lesson.  I'm so doing this one when my kids are older.  I like this one as well.  As written, it's best for older kids, but could be adapted for younger ones.

Being in Utah, I think it would be fun to talk about Brigham Young at Ensign Peak in Salt Lake, but that will be when my kids are at least old enough to hike it.  (it's pretty easy.  Maybe everyone is at least 4?) We could also take a tour of the Lion House in downtown Salt Lake City.

Anyway, what I actually did was just read some of the facts about Brigham Young from this Deseret Book lesson while my kids colored this. We made sure to mention that the university where my husband works is named after Brigham Young and that we probably wouldn't even live in Utah if it weren't for him guiding the saints here.

No comments:

Post a Comment