Monday, October 29, 2012

FHE: Pumpkin Carving (Service)

This family home evening idea for pumpkin carving is a nice way to incorporate your annual pumpkin carving into an FHE.  I found it at a blog called Inspiration Organization.

Here's the part I used:
This pumpkin is going to help us remember how we can better serve God.
I can open my mind so I can learn about Heavenly Father and his plan for me to return to him.(Cut the top of the pumpkin)
I can repent when I make a wrong choice.(Clean out the inside)
I can keep my eyes open for opportunities to serve others.(Cut the eyes out in shape of heart)
I can be a good friend to everyone and not turn up my nose to anyone.(Cut a nose)
I can open my ears so I can listen and learn.(Cut the ears)
I can open my mouth so I can share the gospel with the world.(Cut the mouth)
I can follow the Saviors example and let my light shine in all that I say and do.(Place a candle inside and light it)

I made pumpkin smoothies for a treat.  (But I ignored all the vegan substitutions and used regular vanilla, milk, etc.)  but nobody liked them, so use a different recipe :)

Note: since my kids are so young (0, 2, 4) I had already scooped out all the innards of the pumpkins we were going to carve to save time.  GREAT idea.  I had even carved one to just point out the things so the lesson would go quicker and there wouldn't be such a large gap in time between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment