Wednesday, February 15, 2012

FHE: Love

Before I mention this week's lesson, I thought I'd just point out that I've added some links to the side-bar of a few other helpful blogs (similar to this) with helpful ideas for FHE and other LDS callings (Activity Days, etc.) for your (and my) convenience. :)

So, this week it seemed only fitting to talk about love, since Valentine's Day was on Tuesday.  We didn't go very deep...  All we did was get out some paper and scissors and everyone was to cut out hearts (well, Peach- my 1 year old- didn't, and The Frog - my 3 year old- just cut whatever...) and then each person would finish this sentence for each other family member:
"I love mommy/daddy/Peach/Frog because..."
I wrote the responses on the hearts and we decorated our closet door in the kitchen with them.  My favorite one was
"I love Peach because she always chases me. Love, The Frog"

I didn't plan a treat (because I was already planning to make creme brûlée on V-Day) and at the last minute decided to give the kids graham cracker frosting sandwiches with some leftover strawberry frosting from a baby shower (which just happened to be the appropriate Valentine's color).  They were thrilled. :)

What did I learn?  I think with such young kids, it would have been better if I had previously cut out the hearts and even had "I love NAME because..."  already written on them because I lost The Frog by the end...  For older kids, though, it would probably be great to let everyone cut out one heart for all the family members themselves.

1 comment:

  1. We did this last night and I felt it was perfect. I took your advice and pre-cut the hearts and filled out the "I love Name because" and it definitely went smoothly. We asked Alex what he thought Love was. He said hugs and kisses :) We explained that we can say, show and give love different ways. We frosted valentine cookies at the end. A big hit.

    ReplyDelete