Monday, January 20, 2014

FHE: We Can Do Anything with the Lord

This lesson turned out quite fun, but the kids were quite rowdy by the end and I'm still wondering if anything sunk in at all...

I started out with some lunch sacks with a "mysterious item" in each one.  I asked the kids if they were afraid to stick their hand in without looking.  They said no, and I suggested that there could be a poisonous spider or snake, or maybe a knife inside... something dangerous.  They still said they weren't scared, so I asked my 5-year-old son to stick his hand inside without looking and he got really nervous and wouldn't do it.  So my 3-year-old daughter did it instead.  (it was a pincushion)  Seeing that it was nothing poisonous, he braved up and I let all three kids take turns pulling something out of each bag, guessing what was inside before pulling it out.

Then I read the story of David and Goliath while the kids colored this picture.  After reading it once, we acted it out a couple of times, first my 3-year old being David, my husband being the giant, and the rest of us being "brothers".  "David" got 5 pieces of crumpled paper to throw at the "Giant".  Then, of course, my 5-year old had to have a turn being David, and my 3-year old wanted to be the giant. :)

After all that, I asked my kids what we can learn from this story...  Do we have to fight giants?  (5-year old: Giants aren't even real, mom!)  But do we have to do hard things? (yes)  Can Heavenly Father help us to hard things? (yes) How?  and how do we ask him to help us?  (The Holy Ghost can help us.  We can pray to ask for help)

Then, I put the pincushion inside a clear plastic bag and asked them if they would be afraid to stick their hand in now.  (of course they said, no) and I asked why not?  (because they could see what was inside!)  I then **tried** to make an analogy, but everyone was being quite rowdy and excited about throwing pieces of paper at each other...  I told them that having a clear bag was like having the Lord's help - we don't need to be afraid if we do what the Lord wants, we know we will be blessed for keeping the commandments.


No comments:

Post a Comment