Monday, January 21, 2013

FHE: Tithing

At the prodding of my younger sister, I decided to do a lesson on tithing.  We called it "The Parable of the M&Ms".  (you could also use jelly beans or skittles, etc)

(I copied their idea here minus the banks because my kids are so young we still don't give them money, but maybe when they're older I'd do that)

I brought out the mega Costco bag of M&Ms that we use to refill the "potty treat" cup in the bathroom and started throwing my head back and eating them very deliberately.  Of course the kids were immediately on top of me, trying to stick their hands in the bag too.  "oh, you want some of these?"  (yesssss) "ok, well (pulling out two ziploc bags with 100 M&Ms inside) I will give you these, if you only give me 10 back"  It was an easy decision for them to make and my 4-year-old enjoyed showing off his ability to count to 10 :)  While they ate some M&Ms I told them about how everything we have we owe to our Heavenly Father- bodies, Earth, abilities, everything, and in return, he just wants us to keep his commandments.  One of his commandments is to pay our tithing.  I explained what it meant and then we talked about what tithing money is used for- churches, temples, supplies, etc. and daddy's salary (he works at BYU).  We also talked about how we get even more blessings for paying our salary- so it's more like trading in 10 measly M&Ms and getting back a giant Snickers bar.

I thought it went over very well.  And it was convenient to have the treat built in.

No comments:

Post a Comment